Pages

Friday 15 October 2010

'The Land Of Os'


Central Saint Martins graduate, Osman Yousefzada creates beautiful architectural designs which have caused much stir within the fashion world. The Afghan-British designer formed the collection for  Fashion In Motion live show which is inspired by the movement of the body.
Here we have an exclusive interview with no frills, as Osman gets straight to the point much like his gorgeous structural garments, about his experience as a designer and how he creates such innovative collections.

Sequins added to Osman's understated glamour


Have you always wanted to be a designer?
Yes, as I grew up my mother had a dress-making business, so I just took interest in fabrics from a young age, all the scraps. I've always liked fabrics.

Muted grey sci-fi ensemble


What was your favourite part of Central St. Martins?
Being basically surrounded by like-minded people, a lot of people with a lot of passion really.


 We loved the collection about the movement of the body...



The pieces fit together beautifully...
Yes, I mean, what I had to do was go through eleven collections because there was about fifty looks that were shown at the V&A, so I think it really helped me identify what I'm good at as a designer. 

The baby doll dress, paired with this Season's hottest shoe, the smoking slipper.

Who is the Woman that you design for?
She's intelligent, creative... I think with the kind of effortless style. She can just put something on, but creates a lot of drama when she walks in to a room basically.




As we'd never be able to choose, what from the collection would you put us in?
I don't know, I think I could picture one of you in the babydoll dress... and one of you in the little grey sci-fi suit.



We thought overall, the designs were minimal in shape but had real impact. Do you have a favourite piece from what you've chosen?
I don't know, there's a lot of favourite pieces. I move on really quickly, I think the babydoll dress. It's thirty metres of fabric, but due to the way it's cut, it's really reduced down.


There's always a little bit of a journey, these are pieces shown at the V&A earlier on, so they come from the last four and a half years. These are pieces that really stand out for me, they make a story really.

No comments:

Post a Comment